Capitol Columns at National Arboretum
They were originally built as part of the east portico of the Capitol in 1828, long before the familiar Capitol dome was completed. However, when the dome was completed in 1866 it appeared as if it was not adequately supported by the columns, because the iron dome was significantly larger than the dome that the designer envisioned. In order to correct this visual illusion an addition to the east side of the Capitol was proposed, finally being constructed in 1958, and the columns were removed. They were eventually dedicated here at the new home in 1990.